Monday, June 18, 2012

Beer bread

I have always been interested in making my own bread. My mom had a bread maker when we were little and you just couldn't beat fresh, warm bread. I, though, being the semi-homemade girl I am, can't get past the thought of having to activate yeast, knead, rise, knead, rise, THEN bake. That seems like too much trouble. I have been diligently searching for a bread that doesn't use yeast, and doesn't use a bread maker. This morning as I was trying to figure out what to cook Jason for dinner since I will be out of town tonight, I stumbled upon my kind of bread recipe--beer bread. Since the recipe calls for beer you eliminate the need for yeast, it requires no kneading or rising, and is baked in the oven--BINGO! I have found my bread recipe!

Beer Bread
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1-12 oz bottle of beer (I used Michelob Ultra)
  • 1/2 stick of butter ( I used a whole stick because I am always non-compliant with recipes, plus, more butter is better!)

 
Preheat oven to 350 and grease 9"x5"x3" loaf pan.

 
In a bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add in honey and beer, mixing until just combined- don't over mix or the bread will be tough.




Melt the butter and pour 1/2 into the greased loaf pan. Spoon bread dough over the butter. Smooth top and pour remaining butter over the dough. Bake for 50-60 minutes. The bread should look golden brown on the top--and a bonus, it smells DELICIOUS.

**Note: The dough looks very runny--that's ok because we put an entire stick of butter in it! I put my loaf pan on a cookie sheet so it wouldn't run over into the bottom of the oven. 



And the finished product--Ta-Dah!!!


Happy eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment