Sunday, June 17, 2012

Strawberry cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese frosting

Jason's 25th birthday was this past Saturday. He decided that he wanted a fish fry to celebrate, so while my step dad got all of that cooking underway it was my job to take care of the desserts. Jason LOVES strawberry cake--seriously, he can eat just about half of one in a single sitting. I have scoured the internet trying to find a good recipe and last year I finally found one he seemed to really like.


Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese

  • 1-box White cake mix (I use Duncan Hines)
  • 1-3 oz. package strawberry gelatin
  • 2/3 c. water
  • 2/3 c. oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 10 oz package of frozen strawberries, drained/slightly mashed in a colander. Reserve juice for later.

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour (or if you are like me--a rebel--spray with pam and line with parchment paper) a pan of your choice. (I used 2 8" rounds and 1 6" round because my 9" rounds were already in use. I would not recommend doing the smaller ones, they don't yield very thick layers).

Stir cake mix and gelatin together. Make a well in the center and add water, oil, and eggs. Stir in the drained/mashed strawberries. Beat on low until just blended, then kick it up to medium and beat for 4 minutes (set your time, actually beat it the full 4 minutes, you will be glad you did when your cake is smooth and moist!) Pour into your prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes. (If you use the deep 6" round, it takes about 40-45 minutes).





Remove your little pans of goodness from the oven and let them cool completely. I usually let them cool for 5-10 minutes, then flip them out of the pan onto a cooling rack, parchment paper side down, to speed up the cooling process. You can also toss them in the fridge/freezer to really speed up the process, but ours are alway full to the brim so I don't have any room.

While your cakes are cooling, make your cream cheese frosting. Most of the time when I make this cake, I use a strawberry buttercream, but J LOVES cream cheese, so when I make it specifically for him, I tweak the recipe to include strawberry cream cheese.
 
Strawberry Cream Cheese
  • 1- 8oz block of cream cheese--slightly softened
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter--slightly softened
  • 1 box powdered sugar (or about 4 cups)
  • 3-4 tbsp strawberry juice from drained frozen strawberries
  • 1 tsp milk


In your standmixer with the paddle attachment, cream together cream cheese and butter.

Once this is creamy, begin streaming in your powdered sugar while the mixer is running on the lowest setting. When you have added all of your powdered sugar, add in the strawberry juice 1 tbsp at a time, mixing well between each addition. Also, scrap down the sides of the bowl at least once before you finish to get all the flavor incorporated. You can add more or take away depending on your taste, but don't add more than about 4 or you will have a gooey, runny icing that won't stay on your cake. I added a little milk (1 tsp) to mine to cut out the extreme strawberry flavor.
 
**Tip--I add a little while the mixer is going, then stop, speed up to incorporate, slow it down, add, repeat. I have found this is the best way to avoid a catastropic powdered sugar explosion:)
 


 
 Now we are ready for the fun part--Assembly! I add a little to the middle of each layer, and start smoothing down the sides that way when it is complete, all you have to do is smooth around the edges and the top and bam! You have a beautiful cake!






Now, insert hungry husband and your cake will end up like this! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment