Friday, June 22, 2012

Dad's Experimental Birthday Cake

     Here we are again, experimenting. This is one of my favorite things about baking--you can take any combination of things, throw them together and see how it goes. You may end up with an atomic disaster...or you may end up with a new signature cake! My dad turned 55 this past weekend. We had a "55 and still alive" themed party for him in Starkville with a family and a few close friends.
    When I asked Daddy what type of cake he wanted this year he said this,
                   "You know that heath bar cake you make that's soaked in condensed milk?"
                    Me: "Yes, is that what you want?"
                    Daddy: "Yes, but different. I want that cake, except mix the condensed milk with that     
                                  coconut stuff you do when you make the coconut cake and put German
                                  chocolate icing on top."
                    Me: "Ok, well, I've never done one like that before, but there's a first time for
                              everything."
     So, what Daddy wants for his birthday is a chocolate cake soaked in coconut infused sweetened condensed milk topped with coconut pecan frosting. This combination sounded EXTRAORDINARY to me so I was all for trying it out.

**Disclamer: I have had a long week and had a brain malfunction. I forgot to take pictures of the first couple steps in this cake, but I will give plenty of details. Plus this is just incentive for you to try it yourself!

For the cake:
1 Chocolate cake mix (I used Devil's food, but you could use that or German chocolate, you just want something that isn't too terribly sweet). I also continued with my recipe non-compliance and added 4 eggs (instead of the suggested 3), 1 cup butter milk and 1/3 cup water (instead of 1 1/3 cup water), and the suggested 1/2 cup of oil. You can make your cake however you please! :)

  • Combine all ingredients in your bowl. Mix on low for 30 seconds, then turn up to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared 9X13 pan. (I just sprayed this pan with Pam since I am not going to be removing it.)
  • Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until done.

    For the coconut-infused sweetened condensed milk:
    2 cans sweetened condensed milk
    1-2 tbsp Cream of coconut (Found with your alcoholic beverage mixers--don't get coconut milk--YUCK!)
    1 tsp coconut extract
    • Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix together and let sit until ready to pour over hot cake.
    • Once cake is out of the oven, immediately poke holes in it and pour over cake. Once the coconut mixture is on the cake, poke a few more holes to make sure it all gets soaked in!
    • Cool completely.

    Holes in the cake

    Coconut condensed milk poured over cake

    Cake after the thick, gooey, and oh-so-yummy mixture has settled in
      For the frosting:
      2 coconut-pecan frosting (I used Betty Crocker)--melted
      • Spoon into microwave safe bowl and heat at 30 second intervals until melted (about 1 minute makes it spreadable without being too runny).
      • Once the cake is cool, pour frosting over cake and smooth out.


        The cake was a big hit with everyone and I believe it is going to move from experimental into the recipe book! Happy eating!

        2 comments:

        1. I am enjoying all of the recipes!

          This reminds me of the cake you made for us when Liam was born....wasn't that the plain heath bar cake??

          Listen, I have tried and tried to make that for us in the past year, but every time its not right--not like yours! Whenever you are ready to do a step-by-step for it....I will be sitting here with my paper and pencil! (ours always seems dry, while yours was extremely moist! that's the main difference) You MUST teach me!

          ReplyDelete